Monday, April 9, 2007

Sunday, April 8


The ride back to San Cristobal was relatively uneventful, except that Rhett was quite ill. Although we had to wait a half hour for another passenger coming from San Pedro, we still made it back to San Cristobal at 3 pm. San Cristobal is now into its annual, week-long fair and we passed a street with large floats from a parade that had ended. We got fairly close to our house and were let off.

I checked my email and then headed to the market for some food. On the way back, I stopped in at June Nash’s house to check on arrangements for Tuesday’s day trip to Amatenango del Valle. She was being visited by Robert Benfer, an archaeologist who works in Peru, and his wife, Louella, a linguist who works with Tojolabal communities in Chiapas. Bob mainly talked about his experiences in Peru and the politics there. He was the excavator of the famous Temple of the Fox, containing beautiful sculptures from around 2000 b.c.e. Fortunately I had my computer with me and showed June and her husband Frank the photographs of these sculptures that I had taken from the web.

No comments: