Monday, April 2, 2007

Sunday, April 1

Today was Mexico's time change (Guatemala is now an hour different) as well as Palm Sunday. As Sara advised me that there would be a mass in Tzeltal in the small church adjoining Santo Domingo, I headed up there shortly before 9 am. I didn't see Sara there so I stayed outside, sitting on a stone bench, and watching the church. I spent an hour watching vendors set up their stalls and lay out there wares. There were also many of the Aguacatenango palm frond weavers there, weaving and selling to people entering the church. Of these, a young mother and her son (about 1 year old) sat down next to me and I got to watch her weaving the fronds as the child played around and had some snacks. Shortly before 10, I saw that all the people in the mass were called outside, where they were joined by the priest and all waved their palm fronds. My first experience with Palm Sunday.

The afternoon was spent labeling slides from the fieldtrip, both the ones I took on a small camera and that James took for me on the big one. I have a long way to go but made a bit of a dent. In the evening, Sara came over with fruit to join me for supper and we had a conversation (my Spanish lesson for the day). Then it was time to prepare classes for tomorrow. But this was not going well as my dental problem has returned with a vengeance! I'm just going to expect it will go away like last time, and not interfere with the Guatemala trip that starts in a few days.

No comments: