Monday, April 16, 2007

Sunday, April 15



Rita and I went to the Museo de Los Altos today, a museum operated by INAH and lodged in the monastery of Santo Domingo, the monastery that also houses the Sna Jolobil weavers' cooperative and adjoins Santo Domingo church and the artesanias market.

The displays cover primarily the history of San Cristobal. I had seen the display before and wanted Rita to see the images pertaining to the Cancuc or Tzeltal rebellion around 1714, and the Chamula rebellion or War of the Castes of 1869-70. The upstairs was closed off, but I am posting a view of the monastery courtyard from upstairs that I took on my previous visit.

We did walk around the lower level and saw an art excibition of aquatints concerning migration, including migration of Europeans into North America in the early 20th century as well as more recent migration of Mexicans into North America as undocumented labourers.

No comments: